Friday, September 30, 2016

Book Club: Hope Unfolding ~ Chapter 5: You Can't Do It All

Hope Unfolding Book Club - Chapter 3Welcome to Book Club!

In chapter 5, Becky describes the juggling act of being a wife and a mum. At the end of the day, after serving others and being on call all day long, being ready to tune in and meet the needs of another person at the drop of a hat, we don't have anything left to give. Our husbands often get our leftovers. We crash into bed knowing that we are going to have to get up and do it all over again the following day. Sometimes it feels like we are running on empty.

...the reality of balancing life as both a mum and a wife is overwhelming most days - Becky Thompson.

I've been asked numerous times "how do you do it all, and do it all well?" to which I have responded "I don't know". I don't know how I juggle it all, and I certainly don't think I do it all well. Like many mums, I often feel like I'm spread thin and not able to give 100% to every area of life. Because, if I'm honest, I can't do it all in my own strength.

Becky suggests that the key to juggling life is to rely on God as our source of hope and strength, and to remember that we don't have to do it all alone. I can certainly relate to relying on God to get me through the day, to give me the patience and motivation I need to meet the demands of life. I also have my team: my husband, family and close friends who are ready to jump in when needed. I don't often call on them. I don't like acknowledging when I need help. But this only leads to burnout. Thankfully they know this about me (or maybe it's God prompting them at just the right time) and they are often ready to offer a lending hand before I've even asked for it.

What did you think of this chapter? How do you juggle it all?

Nicki

We are currently reading through Hope Unfolding: Grace-Filled Truth for the Momma's Heart by Becky Thompson. Pick up your copy today (I recommend you check out Booko to compare prices at various retailers)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a message :-)