Friday, November 4, 2016

Book Club: Hope Unfolding ~ Chapter 10: The "Good Mom" Movement

Welcome to Book Club!

YOU are a good mom - Becky Thompson.

In this final chapter Becky discusses our feelings of inadequacy and failure, and the belief that we are not good enough, which we often have playing on repeat in our minds.

We've all been there.

I can relate to Becky's story of refusing to read one more book, in our house it's one more song. Some nights I just want to get the kids to bed as quickly as possible, finish tidying up the house and crash in my own bed, on those nights I say no when asked for one more song. When the house is finally tidy and quiet, guilt creeps in. I lay awake wondering if I have shown them enough love and attention that day, and I'm tempted to wake them up, hold them and remind them just how much I love them.

Some days (okay most days), despite my best intentions, I'm not perfect. I wake up with every intention of being patient, calm and kind. And then I get out of bed. Some days I get out of bed to discover the play room is already a mess and my direction to get clothes on is answered with groaning and whining. Mess and whining, these are a couple of the things that set me off. Other days we slept in (okay, I slept in), and being late frustrates me. Despite my earlier intentions, I find myself losing patience. Some days, when I finally get all the kids ready to go and in the car, I stop and realise that the day has barely started and I have set a miserable mood for the day. Obviously this is not the scene every morning. Some days run smoothly, others do not; and those days that do not I'm left with the overwhelming feeling of defeat.

...we don't have to be perfect to be the best moms to our kids - Becky Thompson.

Becky reminds us not to sum up who we are based on these little moments. Sometimes we focus on all the ways that we are not perfect or on everything that doesn't go to plan. We might criticise ourselves for not having all the answers or not knowing exactly what to do. Sometimes we tell ourselves "a good mum would ..." or "a good mum, wouldn't...", and conclude that therefore we aren't a good mum. When we focus on our shortcomings, our successes become overshadowed. We tend to dismiss our good moments when we are so focused on our not so good moments. It's important to celebrate your good moments. Give yourself a mental 'high 5' for all the times you got it right, and give yourself grace for all the times your have been... human.

Becky leaves us with the following challenge How can you encourage another mom this week? How can you get her to believe that she is good mom too? Let me know your response to Becky's question in the comments bellow.

This wraps up our Hope Unfolding Book Club. I hope this book has encouraged you as much as it has me.

Stay tuned for a review of Becky's new book Love Unending which will be released in Jan 2017.

Nicki

We have been reading through Hope Unfolding: Grace-Filled Truth for the Momma's Heart by Becky Thompson. Pick up your copy today (I recommend you check out Booko to compare prices at various retailers)

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book. I love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect doesn't exist. We really are all good enough parents and love our kids enough. I do wish I had more patience, but that comes with focusing on slowing down and staying calm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time visiting your site and I wish I'd discovered it earlier! Love a good bookclub (my IRL one died unfortunately). This is definitely a book that I will add to my reading list, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely relate to this! My son wanted to know why I couldn't stay with him every night until he falls asleep (which can take up to 2 hours on a bad night) - did I need to 'finish my work'. I felt so guilty explaining that I wanted to do some non-work things without him! Which is ridiculous, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this sounds like a great book. I have only just discovered your site from #ibot. I am really keen to see the next book you do for bookclub

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love a good book club recommend! How can I encourage another Mum this week? I'm not sure, perhaps I'll give a well deserved compliment :) #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a message :-)