Friday, November 11, 2016

Licorice Allsorts Crochet Scarf

Planned colour pooling is trending at the moment and many projects using this method have popped up on social media. When this scarf by Laura @ Over The Apple Tree appeared on Facebook I knew it was time to get on board.

If you have never heard of this method before, prepare to be amazed. You'll never look at variegated yarn the same way again!

Planned Colour Pooling - Free Crochet Scarf Pattern

For my first attempt at this method, I though a scarf would be the quickest and easiest project. I chose a yarn with contrasting colours and experimented with hook sizes until deciding on the one that gave me a stitch size that I liked the look of most. Then I counted how many stitches I could create with each stretch of colour. Variegated yarn typically has multiple colours that repeat in a regular pattern; so the number of stitches for each colour is roughly the same in each pattern repeat. I used a website called Planned Pooling to predict the patterns I could create with different stitch counts for the width of the scarf. I love how this pattern reminds me of Licorice Allsorts.

Licorice Allsorts Scarf Pattern


Yarn - 4 x 50g balls of Moda Vera Florentine Collection Bruno
Hook - 6.5mm
Stitch - Granite or Moss stitch from Moogly, written and video instructions are available here
Beginning Chain - 26

This scarf measures 16cm wide and 140cm long. If you prefer longer scarfs, adding another ball of yarn would add just over 30cm of length.

Planned Colour Pooling - Free Crochet Scarf Pattern
Planned Colour Pooling - Free Crochet Scarf Pattern
Planned Colour Pooling - Free Crochet Scarf Pattern

I love how this scarf has turned out. I've discovered that planned colour pooling is surprisingly simple and I'll definitely be using it again.

Nicki

3 comments:

  1. Your scarf is cute. Thank you for linking up with us at #HomeMattersParty . We would love to have you again next week .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love licorice allsorts Nicki and this really caught my eye. It's beautiful. I'll have to grab some of that yarn. Thanks so much for linking up to Thriving on Thursdays linky party last week. Just letting you know, I'm featuring your post at tomorrow's party. It was lovely to see you last week.

    Anne @ Domesblissity xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Thank You for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a message :-)